I guess we need to start budgeting for our mouths. Ethan and I went to see the dentist today, and didn't get sent home with beaming smiles. Well, no cavities. That's good. We've been brushing well, and the dentist was VERY proud to hear that Ethan brushes twice daily. (Although, Jason and I have been slacking on checking up on his brushing, and it's too early to slack.) No, the problem with Ethan is that his teeth are so close together that once the adult teeth start coming in, there will be BIG problems. The dentist said there is a 100% chance that he will need orthodontic work. And it may come as early as the end of this year. Ethan's six-year molars will be coming in, and will start pushing his teeth around. And there are no gaps for his teeth to move into. BUMMER. The boy got my teeth. BUMMER. The dentist said we would probably start with an expander. Guess who else started with an expander? Yup, ME. But I wasn't SIX! Good grief! Phone call to mom coming shortly to get the lo-down on how old I was when everything started, and how stinking much it cost. YUCK.
Then there's me. Apparently I picked the wrong set of months to take a flossing break. I have my first case of pregnancy gingivitis. How incredibly awful. Sounds like it can be reversed if I start flossing really well again, so here's hoping. Also, I brought up my latest unconscious bad habit: clenching my teeth. The dentist strongly recommended a nightguard. Yeah, not a big deal. It's only over $400 for one of those if insurance doesn't cover it. Better yet, Jason was told he needs one too! Oh, and last but not least, the grooves in my teeth are very deep, so even though I have never had a cavity, they strongly recommend sealants on my teeth. Sure, just throw that in with the other couple thousand dollars we're paying you.
We'll possibly end up with no teeth left by the time we're 50, but we'll have saved a few extra bucks! Ha! Who needs teeth, anyway? My favorite foods are soup and milkshakes, so I won't be missing much.
P.S. I just talked to Mom. I guess I was six. Possibly even five. And she didn't sound as shocked and appalled as I hoped she would. Boo.
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


well, if it's any comfort to you, the last two visits I made to the dentist (last Saturday being the most recent), they told me I really need to get a mouth guard. Apparently I clench my teeth and grind them in my sleep. I guess it's supposed to also help with the jaw click I have (yep, I have that too 'cept I haven't gotten mine stuck open yet - though I've come close). I still haven't gotten the mouthguard because of the cost, but they said you can get a over-the-counter one for around $40 and that it works pretty well.... I guess something's better than nothing.
ReplyDeleteBummer all around. If you want an even cheaper option on the mouth guard, my uncle is a dentist and when I was recommended to get a guard for clenching my jaw he told me to get a football one (availble for about $1) It helped me, I used it for a few months.
ReplyDeleteGina